10 May 2012

pain

we've all felt it. from the time we fell out of the tree when we were ten, to the time we biffed it wake boarding at twenty-one. pain. 
physical pain is part of the healing process. the sensation of pain is caused by thousands of nerve endings, recognizing that damage has been done to that part of the body and sending this message to the brain. pain is the "first responder" when something is wrong in the body. in essence- pain is good.

pain is also a sensation that come with growth.  you've heard the saying: "no pain, no gain." it's something i tell myself when pushing myself to the limit in running, weight lifting, or biking. when my muscles are sore and my lungs are burning, i tell myself that it's not killing me, it's making me stronger. when we work through physical pain, we do gain. we gain strength, muscle, endurance. we break records, reach goals, and build champions.

sometimes pain is bad. sometimes it is so great, that there must be something to lessen or take away the pain. tylenol takes away the pain of a head ache. cold water takes away the pain of a burn. morphine takes away the pain from major surgery. a massage takes away the pain of strained muscles.

what about emotional pain? is it good? does it indicate healing or growth? can it be taken away by medication or rest?

how can the pain that comes from the heart, yet sometimes becomes so intense that it causes actual physical pain, be taken away???

i've have lain, curled up on my bed, sobbing because i missed someone, and it hurt- my heart and my body. i have felt loneliness so great that i felt that i could only go into the bathroom, and weep. i have been stabbed in the back, lied to, and even used. 




Christ is the one who has suffered everything. He has felt every and any kind of pain we go through. 
"For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent; But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—" (D&C 19:16-18).
Unlike us, "during His mortal life Christ chose to experience pains and afflictions in order to understand us. [So] perhaps we also need to experience the depths of mortality in order to understand Him and our eternal purposes." 
So. . . this pain is a tool to help us grow??

yes.
if we let the pain make us stronger, instead of destroying us.
but we are not alone. through the Atonement, the pain can be taken away. we will be given what we need to overcome and become who the Lord wants us to be. "Healing blessings come in many ways, each suited to our individual needs, as known to Him who loves us best. Sometimes a ‘healing’ cures our illness or lifts our burden. But sometimes we are ‘healed’ by being given strength or understanding or patience to bear the burdens placed upon us" (Dallin H. Oaks). God loves us. He will not leave us alone as long as we turn to Him. He can and will take the pain away.

sometimes though, i think we are allowed to suffer, to experience pain. because it is the best way for us to grow. perhaps, the Lord knows, that like a piece of coal, we need to undergo immense amounts of pressure to become a diamond. perhaps He knows that true healing requires a little pain. and once the wound heals, a scar is left- a beautiful reminder of the pain, the growth, and the Master's own healing scars.


I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise


Jesus has overcome.

quotes from The Atonement Covers All Pain by Elder Kent F. Richards and I Will Rise by Chris Tomlin

2 comments:

  1. "perhaps, the Lord knows, that like a piece of coal, we need to undergo immense amounts of pressure to become a diamond. "
    Beautiful line/phrasing.
    I really needed this post. Thank you Beka.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written! No one can truly say "I understand" except for Him. Each and every heartache is unique.

    ReplyDelete